Posted February 24, 2017
When the check engine light comes on in your vehicle, bring it into Keller Bros. Auto Repair right away!
You should always treat this light seriously, but it doesn’t always mean expensive repairs. There are many reasons the check engine light could appear on your dashboard. Here are five common reasons that the check engine light comes on:
- Oxygen Sensor. When fuel is moved into the engine, it is combined with air. This sensor make sure it operates at the correct ratio of fuel and air. When the ratio is incorrect, you may see a significant drop in your gas mileage. Don’t ignore an issue with the oxygen sensor – it may cause more damage to the engine or catalytic converter.
- Gas Cap. A common mistake, like leaving the gas cap too lose after filling your tank, can trigger this light. If the problem persists after you tighten the gas cap, it may need to be replaced. The seal around the gas cap can become damaged, faulty, or simply loose after years of use. A gas cap is inexpensive to replace and prevents gas vapors from escaping the tank!
- Catalytic Converter. Without this component, your car would produce a cloud of harmful gases every time you turn it on. The catalytic converter helps to reduce exhaust by converting these gases into harmless compounds.
- Mass Airflow Sensor. This sensor measures the air coming through to the engine in order to control how much fuel is added. When the air filter is dirty, but not replaced right away, it can lead to an issue with the mass airflow sensor. Keeping up with simple maintenance, like replacing air filters, can prevent more significant repairs.
- Spark Plugs and Wires. When your engine misfires, it’s an issue with the spark plugs. These devices create a spark to start the combustion process of fuel in your engine. You may notice jolting when you accelerate or reduced power if there is an issue with spark plugs. An inexpensive fix can improve your vehicle’s performance!
If your check engine light appears, DO NOT IGNORE IT! Small problems with these components left unattended can cause bigger problems for your engine.
Stop by Keller Bros. Auto Repair, and our ASE-Certified technicians will diagnose the cause of the check engine light. We will recommend any repairs needed to get you back safely on the roads in Littleton. If you check engine light appears, call 303-347-1010.
Categories: Car Care Tips